“How do I know if coaching would help me?” I’ve been asked this question several times, and I decided that I would put together a list that describes potential clients, to help people better ascertain whether or not coaching is for them. I hope you find it helpful!
1) You can’t seem to attain your goals
At first your pumped up and ready to exercise your way to a 6-pack. But as time goes on, your motivation slips, your excuses hold more and more merit and eventually, you convince yourself that it was just a silly dream. Sound familiar? One study found that only 8% of people actually achieve their new years resolution of getting fit. So how do that 8% do it? And why do the other 92% give up? Having a coach on your side can ensure that you stay motivated, help you figure out strategies for the hurdles along the way and make you more aware of what’s really holding you back. So 6-pack, no problem. Your sculpted abs suddenly went from a silly dream, to a planned event!
2) You’ve got so many “To-Do’s” that you don’t know where to start
“Things I want to do; lose weight for Jane’s wedding, learn Spanish so I can understand the in-law’s, get good at volleyball so we can win the competition”…
If you’ve got a list of goals a mile long, that’s a good sign that you might need a coach. One common problem is that we often try to learn to many new things at once, overloading our brains and ensuring that we won’t be able to attain the goals that we set for ourselves. A coach can help you to prioritize your goals and help you to develop a realistic plan so that everything get’s done in easy to manage, simple steps.
3) You’ve got a goal, but not much time to get there
Want to save for a trip to Cuba with your college buds, but only have 4 months to do so? Having a strict deadline can put a lot of pressure on you. A coach can help you to brainstorm ideas, make a plan, and stay accountable and on track to meet your deadlines. Although it’s always preferable to give yourself enough time to do things, we know life happens. And with hard work and dedication, it’s amazing the things you can do (even in a short time span!).
4) You’re drowning in negativity
As you shared your plans to run a 10K in a few months at the breakfast table, no one seemed to believe that you’d be achieving this goal. In fact, a few people laughed. This totally bummed you out. But you shouldn’t give up! Sometimes you just need someone in your corner to encourage you. Someone to say “Well of course you can. Let’s talk about how”. A coach can empower and motivate you to achieve your goals. So don’t let people’s reactions or comments deter you from your dreams; use them as fuel to jump-start your success. Your coach will always be there to cheer you on.